Electronic Mail Policy at Medaille College
This policy is governed by the General Policy and is provided to assist all members of the Medaille College community. This document sets forth the proper use of Medaille College's Electronic Mail or Email System. The College reserves the right to change these policies at any time.
The se of the Email System is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use will result in cancellation of these privileges. You are expected to be ethical and responsible in your use. You are to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws, and other College policies.
Users need to demonstrate responsibility when using their Email accounts. Violations include those listed in the General Policy as well as, but not limited to the following:
- Initiating or forwarding of "chain letters."
- Using a false Email address (i.e. mail "spoofing: - deliberately sending mail with a misleading or false Email address.
- Attempting to disrupt another person's ability to use his/her computer account.
- Spamming (the practice of emailing to all possible addresses, unsolicited and/or useless material).
- Every effort will be made to adhere to the confidentiality of an individual's Email account. However, such confidentiality may be compromised by applicability of law or policy, by unintended redistribution, or because of inadequacy of current technologies to protect against unauthorized access. Users, therefore, should exercise caution in using Email to communicate confidential or sensitive matters.
- Users should be aware that on occasion network and computer operations personnel and system administrators might, during the performance of their duties, inadvertently see the contents of Email messages. These individuals though, are not permitted to do so intentionally or disclose or otherwise use what they have seen.
- Each time the information technology hardware, software, and service environment changes, the level of security may be affected.
- You must respect the confidentiality of other people's electronic mail and must not attempt to read, "hack" into other systems or other people's logins, or "crack" passwords, or breach computer or network security measures
- Review your messages every week so that they are removed from the server and delete those not needed.
- Email accounts will be deleted when a user is no longer affiliated with Medaille College.
- Accounts will be deactivated for the infringement of any written or implied policy.
Effective Date of Policy: September 1997 Revised: January 2001